The Set-UpIt’s important to be comfortable before starting the tinnitus relaxation exercises:
- Sit in a comfortable chair in a quiet place
- Do the exercises while listening to relaxing music. Turn the music off if it distracts you.
- Take off your shoes and wear loose and comfortable clothing
- Progressive muscle relaxation – While sitting down, focus on the muscles in one area of your body - like your right foot. Inhale and tighten only the muscles you are concentrating on for 8 seconds. Release them by suddenly letting go. Let the tightness and pain flow out of the muscles while you slowly exhale. Continue this progression systematically from your head down to the feet.
- Deep breathing – Repeat the following sequence 20 times:
- Guided imagery – Once you are relaxed from your deep breathing exercise, close your eyes and continue to breathe deep while you imagine yourself in the most relaxing environment possible. Imagine the scene with all your senses: The smell of the beach, the feel of the air, the taste of your favorite beverage. Use relaxing background music to become even more comfortable.
Relief with Music TherapyMusic therapy can also counteract your tinnitus. Typical sounds used in tinnitus management can include amplified sounds from hearing aids, environmental sounds, and music or “white noise”. Try Widex ZEN Tinnitus Technology to learn more about how music therapy can help relieve your tinnitus.
Check out our Podcast about Tinnitus. In this podcast called Listen Up! we examine different aspects of tinnitus and uncover the glitches that cause your ears to ring - plus, you'll learn what not to do about your tinnitus.